Sunday, October 31, 2010

Apple Pie

I'm no pastry chef, that's for sure. I know it's all in the crust and my crusts have tended to be heavy and dense, not light a flaky. But with the abundance of apples gathered from our day trip out to Yucaipa's Oak Glen Apple Orchards AND the November issue of Better Homes and Gardens' feature of Alan Carter with his pie pastry recipe AND an Apple-Cranberry Pie recipe to go with the pastry, well it was clear that I would be making a pie.

Of course I could have opted for a ready made crust, but with Mr. Carter's recipe, including his secrets for a perfect pastry, I had to give it a try.

With everything ready I began making the pie from its pastry bottom to pastry top.
Though certainly inexperienced hands rolled it, the pastry was indeed flaky. And the cranberries really added a nice tartness. It turned out to be an altogether yummy pie.Will's apple orchard set here.
Mine here.

1 comment:

Will Campbell said...

That was the BEST apple pie EVAR!