Sunday, October 05, 2008

Our Own Young Lions

The color of dry grass, lions blend into the landscape. I suppose that's nature's design enabling them to remain unseen as they stalk their prey, and disappear into their surroundings should an enemy be near. While exploring the floor of the Ngorongoro crater on our safari honeymoon through East Africa and Rwanda in July of 2005, seeing any of the big cats was the most thrilling and wonderful thing. These three young lions rested with their mother nearby. It was early and the crater's rim is cloaked in fog. Their fur is damp.

Sometimes I'd like to throw it all into the wind and leave possessions behind. Simplify, get out of the city, depart. I feel that day will come, but first there are excursions to be made, renovations to embark upon. Responsibilities. My home is here, mine and my husband's, and our own young lions to watch over.

No comments: