Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas

Christmas Eve was spent at our friend'’s home for dinner. Manny and Cybele put out the spread as they always do. The cheeses were excellent, as was the company and certainly the food. We feasted on beef tenderloin appropriately trussed with rosemary sprigs then cooked perfectly rare, with garlic and horseradish mashed potatoes, sausage lasagna, baked cauliflower and broccoli, spinach and candied pecan salad and a rustic French bread. All accompanied with a good burgundy, followed by coffee and a banquet of deserts.

It was a very, very enjoyable evening. A grown up evening.

Today, Christmas day, began in a childlike way. I woke up, and after about a minute, pushed my husband out of bed, because there are presents under the tree, and I am just a kid when it come to Christmas presents. Indulgee me.
That nice 6 quart programmable slow cooker is Will's gift to me. Even though I knew what he got me, because it's the only thing I asked for, and I printed out the one I wanted from the internet, I was still excited and saved it for last. The West African djembe drum is what I got him. Djembe's have become the hallmark drum played in drum circles. This one has a really nice tone, a strap woven into its rope and comes with a fabric carrying case.

The road atlas was something I bought for both of us. It will accompany us on our future road trips, the first of which will be to Montana come July. I've wanted to go there for a while and now that Grandma has moved there and I no longer see my family during the Thanksgiving holiday, my plan is to make 4th of July in Troy, Montana a yearly pilgrimage.


The holiday card was hand made by Mom and features a photo taken at Grandma's house when she visited her last month. That wintry scene is the main reason we won't be going to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving anymore. I want to go when the weather is more hospitable and we can take advantage of the area's natural beauty and landscape, and 14 degrees makes that tough to do.

Mom also made the hand stamped tin napkin rings embellished with African animal figures
and silver beads and baubless. The calico cat was in my rockin' stockin' and is filled with Silly Putty.

I cought Jiggy
in a festive mood as he traversed the open shelving, then amused himself by wrestling with his own tail.

We also went to see The Chronicless of Narnia at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. Front row seats. I'm not familiar with the story and haven't read the books so other than the little bit that Will told me about the wardrobe closet being the portal to this fantasy world, I knew nothing. The movie was great. the animated animals were wonderful and real-like and the lion, well, he was beautiful.

The day was capped off with Will's Mom taking us to the Pacific Dining Car for Christmas dinner, which we toasted
with Champagne. We shared a crab starter, had a great Caesar salad and I had the Filet Mignon and Sea Scallop combo with broccoli and hollandaises sauce. Crowned that meal with a single espresso.

Another year alomst at an end. I am so looking forward to the next and all that may come our way. Merry Christams. It's a wonderful life.


No comments: