Thursday, June 29, 2006

Travelin' Mojo

Along the roads traveled I've accumulated my own crop of Mojo.
Beginning with Africa in 1991. The beaded bracelets are from a Maasai village in Kenya. When we first entered the village I felt uncomfortable, like I was intruding. But the people were welcoming and seemed very interested in our little group of 4. There was a young girl that looked to be in her teens and she was watching me shyly as I skirted the perimeter of the blankets laid out in a circle on the ground, displaying their beadwork. There was a light in her eyes and they followed me as I made my way around the circle to her blanket, brimming with beaded bracelets. And she smiled and said "caribou" (welcome). And I bought so many, some given to freinds, but many more lie in my jewelry cabinet until I can take them out and hit the road again.

And there is the other half of the pair of beaded leather wristbands bought for my new husband and I from a shop in the Kenya airport. I told the lady at the counter that is was my honeymoon and she wished me happiness and a good life.

There also on my wrist is a piece that my husband bought for me on my birthday on a lovely day at the Ashes and Snow exhibit in Santa Monica, CA.
The globe is taking it's first trip. Except for the journey from my Brother and Lynda's house in Reno (Sun Valley) to my mailbox last Christmas. It will hang off my pack strap on the roads ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»